Here is a list of tests and supplements that Laura recommends when dealing with Chronic Fatigue and one of the number one root causes: Epstein-Barr Virus.
Epstein-Barr Antibody tests:
- EBV VCA IgG
- EBV VCA IgM
- EBV EA (early antigen) IgG
- EBV EBNA IgG
Labcorp test codes for the above tests:
- 216655 (EBV Antibody Panel)
Quest test codes for the above tests:
- 6421 (EBV Antibody Panel)
- 15447 (“early antigen” marker which isn’t included in the antibody)
Anti-Viral herbs/products for Epstein-Barr:
- Lysine: 4000 -6000mg/day
- Licorice root with glycyrrhizin or licorice tea: 2 bags per day: Do not take if you have high blood pressure.
- Cats claw: up to 3000mg/day
- Monolaurin: up to 5000mg/day
Selenium: 800mcg/day for 2 weeks. Caution If taking long term. Do not take 800mcg per day for more than 2 weeks.
- NAC: 2000-3000mg/day
- Barlean’s Olive leaf extract: 2-4 Tbsp. per day
- EBH6 by Byron White: 20 drops 2x/day
"I usually concentrate on using 3 or 4 of these products at a time. All of these products need to be built up very slowly in the system, so they don’t cause a detox or “die-off” reaction. Make sure you’re working with a practitioner that can monitor symptoms, as some of these products can build up int system.
Another important note for Epstein-Barr is to make sure you’re methylating properly so particularly if you have the MTHFR gene making sure you’re getting adequate B12 and B9."
Laura D’Itri MSOM Lac | Functional Medicine Practitioner